- 75ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp curry powder
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 800g (2 tins) chopped tomatoes
- 250g dried brown lentils, rinsed
- 1.5L water
- 40g MAGGI® Vegetable Booster
- 250g chopped fresh kale, stalks removed
- 1-2 tbsp lemon juice, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper & salt
- Warm the olive oil in a large heavy bottom pot over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion and carrot and cook, stirring often, until the onion has softened and is turning translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, cumin, curry powder and thyme.
- Cook about a minute then add the tomatoes and cook for a further 2-3 minutes.
- Pour in the lentils, water and add the MAGGI® Vegetable Booster.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper.
- Raise heat and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Simmer for 25-30 minutes, or until the lentils are tender.
- Transfer 2 cups of the soup to a blender and blend till smooth then add back into the soup.
- Add the chopped kale and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat.
- Stir in the lemon juice.
- Taste and season with salt, ground black pepper and lemon juice according to taste.
- Substitute with silverbeet or baby spinich instead of kale
- Add a dash of Apple Cider Vinegar
- For a non-vegan/vegetarian option
Recipe created by VIC National Finalists - Jemima Judumba & Ryan Consentino
Pan Seared Scallops with Pea Jelly, Tarragon Foam & Pea Puree
- 4 portions
Taste of Americas
Crackin' Corn Ribs
- 10 portions
Chunky Tomato Salsa on Beef Sliders
- 10 portions