First, it can save your business money—which is more important than ever in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. It is also clearly the right thing to do in terms of protecting the environment.
Our planet has limited resources (including space for landfills), and we need to use them wisely if we want them to last for generations. And finally, reducing waste is important to your customers. That means it should also be important to you to introduce better practices that reduce waste in every part of your business and that will help you attract new guests and keep the ones you have.
1. Food wastage footprint. FAO. 2014.
2. World Bank Blogs. 2017.
3. World Economic Forum. 2015.
4. Ellen Macarthur Foundation. The New Plastics Economy. 2016.
5. ReFED. A Roadmap to Reduce U.S. Food Waste by 20 Percent. 2016.
6. Namkung, Y. & Jang, S. Are Consumers Willing to Pay More for Green Practices at Restaurants? 2017.
7. World Resources Institute. 2017.
8. Nestlé Professional Balancing Plates Report.