In response to a rising demand for sustainable, healthy ways to eat, plant-based proteins are popping up on menus all over the globe1 But, unlike traditional tofu, tempeh, or even early meat alternatives, these new foods capture the taste and texture of real meat and poultry, making them a hit with all kinds of consumers, from vegans and vegetarians to flexitarians.
These advances come as many are looking for ways to reduce their meat consumption. Whether they’re changing their eating habits out of concern for their health, the environment, animal welfare, or other reasons, people are actively looking for options when they’re dining out.
While this trend began in fast food, these products are becoming widely accepted in different venues around the world. It all adds up to create an exciting opportunity for you. To help you make the most of it, we’ve complied a few tips on the do’s and don’ts of communicating your emerging plant-based menu so your customers will be compelled to want to try it.
- Use ‘plant-based’ descriptions on your menu. Your diners will have heard of plant-based foods and will be keen to try them
- Talk about the taste and texture, describe them as ‘delicious’ and ‘juicy’
- Label menu items as vegan, non-GMO or gluten free as many are actively seeking these choices
- Don't use words like ‘fake’ or ‘like meat’ which for many are unappealing and may turn diners away from these choices
- Don't forget to ask your guests about their food allergies and ensure you check ingredients lists carefully and maintain an up to date allergen mix.
Access our free Allergen Resource below
Soul Burger are a restaurant franchise in Australia who sell all plant-based burgers. They do an excellent job promoting the benefits of plant-based meat, marketing their products to look exactly like real meat.
Nestlé Professional have launched The Harvest Gourmet™ plant-based burger is incredibly juicy, incredibly delicious and incredibly good, giving your consumers a great experience!
It's Vegan and 100% Plant Based. See full product details here and recipe inspiration in related recipes below!