“This dish is bound to be one of those menu items your customers come back for. The broth uses the CHEF Demi Glace Liquid Concentrate that gives it a real beefy and earthiness.” - Shannon Martinez, Owner & Head Chef of Smith & Daughters, Melbourne
- 3 coriander stalks
- 20g garlic
- 20g ginger
- 80g spring onions
- 1 tsp pickled chilli paste (to taste)
- 400g fresh vegan mince
- 150g firm tofu, pressed for 15 minutes between paper towel to remove excess moisture
- 100g dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked and finely diced
- 20g dried black fungus, soaked and finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Chinese cooking wine
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 30mL CHEF Mushroom Liquid Concentrate
- 1 tsp white pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- Dumpling or wonton wrappers
- ½ cup veg oil
- 8 shallots, peeled and finely sliced
- 80g ginger, peeled and julienne
- 12 spring onions, finely sliced, whites and greens kept separate
- 30g CHEF Black Garlic Paste
- 4 whole star anise
- 3L water mixed
- 120mL CHEF Demi Glace Liquid Concentrate
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1x10cm piece dried kombu, torn (optional)
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- chilli oil
- In a food processor, add coriander, garlic, ginger, spring onions, pickled chilli paste and blitz. until a rough paste.
- Add vegan mince, tofu, remaining Wonton ingredients and pulse until well combined but not totally smooth.
- Spoon 1 tsp of mixture onto each dumpling wrapper and fold into desired dumpling shape, then place on a lined tray.
- Heat a large pot or saucepan over a medium heat and add the oil.
- Once hot, add shallots, ginger and white parts of spring onion.
- Cook until beginning to soften, then add CHEF Black Garlic Paste, star anise and cook for a further minute.
- Pour in the water and mix through the CHEF Demi Glace Liquid Concentrate, followed by the soy sauce and kombu if using.
- Bring up to the boil, and simmer for 20 minutes. Once cooked, remove from heat and stand while you make the dumplings.
- Once you have the required amount of dumplings, bring broth back up to a boil and then reduce to a gentle simmer.
- Gently drop dumplings into broth and cook for approx. 3 minutes.
- Once the dumplings are cooked, fish out of the broth and place into a bowl, then ladle the broth over to cover.
- Serving suggestion: Garnish with coriander, green spring onions and plenty of chilli oil.