- ½ cup (110g) caster sugar, plus 1/3 cup (75g) extra
- ½ cup (125mL) water
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup (70g) PLAISTOWE Dutch Processed Cocoa
- 300g PLAISTOWE® 70% Cocoa Dark Chocolate Couverture
- 2 cups (500ml) milk, warmed
- 100g amaretti biscuits or almond bread, crushed
1. Preheat oven to 180°C/160°C fan forced. Place sugar and water in a small saucepan. Without stirring, cook over a high heat for 5-6 minutes, or until caramel turns light brown. Pour into a 25 x 7.5 x 6.5cm (1.5L) terrine or loaf pan, ensuring base is evenly covered with caramel.
2. Whisk eggs, yolks, PLAISTOWE Dutch Processed Cocoa and extra sugar until smooth. In a medium heatproof bowl; place PLAISTOWE® 70% Cocoa Dark Chocolate Couverture; microwave uncovered on MEDIUM (50%) for 1 minute; stir. Repeat process in 30 second intervals until melted. Cool slightly, beat into egg mixture. Add milk and amaretti crumbs to egg mixture; stir until well combined.
3. Pour mixture into prepared pan and place in a deep baking dish. Pour in enough boiling water to come just below the top of the terrine. Bake for 35-40 minutes, until firm to the touch, but with a slight wobble in the middle. (The pate will firm completely as it cools.) Remove from the oven and cool completely in the pan. Once cooled, transfer pate to fridge and chill overnight.
4. To serve, carefully run a hot knife around the edges of the pate, place a platter on top of the terrine, then flip over and carefully remove the mould. To serve, cut into 1cm slices using a hot knife.