Mushroom Bourguignon by Shannon Martinez
- 10 portions
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2½ kg whole baby Swiss brown mushrooms
- ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large brown onions, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 12 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup dried porcini mushrooms, soaked in boiling water for 20 min (save 1 cup soaking liquid)
- 2 tbs rosemary, chopped
- 2 tbs thyme, chopped
- 5 tbs tomato paste
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 tbs Nuttelex
- 5 tbs plain flour
- 120g CHEF Red & Port Wine Reduction Paste (NB: this is only suitable for vegetarians. For vegan option sub for 500mL vegan red wine)
- 2 tbs Dijon mustard
- 80mL CHEF Mushroom Liquid Concentrate
- 1 ½ L water
- Salt and Pepper
- Handful of parsley, rough chop
- In a pot, heat ½ cup extra virgin olive oil and cook off mushrooms until they have developed a golden colour then remove from the pan. May need to cook in batches depending on size of pot.
- Heat the remaining ⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil in the same pot and cook off the onion, carrot and celery with a big pinch of salt until soft.
- Add the garlic and cook out for a minute, then add the soaked dried porcini, rosemary, thyme, tomato paste, Nuttelex and flour. Cook out the flour for a minute then deglaze with stock and 1 cup of porcini soaking liquid. (If subbing wine for the concentrate, first deglaze with the wine, then reduce by half, the continue as per recipe with the stock).
- Add the CHEF Red & Port Wine Reduction Paste (NB: Vegetarian only) and Dijon mustard. Season with salt & pepper. Stir to combine, then bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for ½ hour, stirring often. The sauce will reduce and thicken.
- Finish with the parsley and check seasoning.
Serving suggestion: either with Mash and sautéed greens or as a pot pie filling.
CHEF X Shannon Martinez
CHEF X Shannon Martinez | Collaboration announced
As demand increases for more Vegan and Plant Based menu options, the CHEF team has partnered with Shannon Martinez; leading Vegan Chef in Australia.
Learn more about Shannon's philosophy and the CHEF range here